How to apply for study leave and claim expenses

Note:  All study leave queries must go to the mailbox

Accent Leave Manager (ALM)

With effect from 14th February 2023, all postgraduate doctors and dentists (excluding FY1) in training will use Accent Leave Manager (ALM) to apply for their study leave. Please note this will replace the exisitng paper application process with immediate effect.

There is a suite of supporting information on our website. On these pages you will find user-guides, frequently asked questions and links to our study leave guidance documents.

Account Activation

To activate your user account, click the Forgotten Password link on the login page:

Your username on Accent Leave Manager is the email address that you have registered with HEE and held on the Trainee Information System (TIS). This is also the email address at which you have received this email. If you need to change the email address you have registered with HEE, please contact the Programme Support team for your school noting your full name, GMC/GDC number, and preferred e-mail address.

A password reset link will then be emailed to you from – you will need to check your junk/spam folder as your email provider may filter the email.

Declaration - Supervisor and Rota Coordinator Approval

You must only submit a study leave application on ALM once you have agreement for the time off from your rota coordinator and once your supervisor has agreed that the course/event is educationally appropriate. We have received some applications where the declaration has been ticked but the comments indicate that these conversations have not yet taken place. Unfortunately, if we receive applications like this then it will be cancelled by the approver and you will be expected to re-submit the application in ALM once agreement has been given by your rota coordinator and supervisor.


ALM is a platform for processing your study leave application and related expenses. You are required to estimate costs in the expenses section. Expense claims will not be authorised unless this section is completed. If you need assistance, please contact Medical Education.

ALM is NOT linked to payroll. Therefore you will need to use your organisation’s expenses portal to request reimbursement. Expense claims will be processed by Medical Education in line with HEE’s national study leave guidance. Medical Education will record the actual amounts reimbursed against your application in ALM. HEE do not have access to trust expenses systems so please contact your Trust if you have any queries about expenses.

The majority of queries can be answered on our website or using the attached infographic so please check there in the first instance. If require any additional support with using Leave Manager, please contact the HEE Yorkshire and Humber study leave team on  Alternatively, call in and talk to the Medical Education team in the Postgraduate centre.

Designed and developed by DTW. Powered by Acteon